Monday, August 3, 2009

A few calls

So Yesterday at church I had a melt down. I was doing ok with Jereme leaving, just keeping busy and trying to not think about it too much... that way I was only crying a little here and there. But then at Church during communion I had to just sit, be still, and my mind started thinking. I broke down and started crying in the middle of communion, in the second pew from the front, so it's not like I could just get up and walk out.
Then later that say I got a call from Jereme. He called just long enough to say "I love you, I miss you, and I won't be done as soon as I thought" *click*... ok not that bad, but pretty close to it.
Then I left to take Morgan and Amy tubing on the river... while picking up tubes at my in-laws Jereme called again. It turned out he had more time than he had thought so I go to talk to him a little longer.
He told me how he hasn't been sleeping well due to missing me, and the fact that they keep them up late and get them up at 4am. Plus something happened so they hadn't actually shipped out to basic yet, they were still at reception. Which meant pushing back their graduation.
The connection wasn't very clear, and hearing him all choked up was so hard for me. Up till that point I was able to imagine him having a good time and enjoying himself, but no more... So I let his mom talk to him for a couple minutes and worried about if we were doing the right thing or not. I know, too late now!
The whole time we were floating down the river I was trying not to think about how sad he sounded and how much I missed him.
Today I was a chaperon for the youth group. They needed someone to go hang out with the kids on shore while the youth leader took another group out tubing on the boat. I had a good time with the kids, and I got a LOT of sun. I am pretty red right now, but it is dark enough it should tan soon.
Anyhow, after we were done I was on my way back from taking Morgan home when my phone rang. It was Jereme again. We didn't get to talk long because I was driving and on my cell *gasp* but I told him I would be home in 10-15 minutes and he could call be back. He said he needed a shower anyhow and promised to call. When he called I let each of the kids talk to him for a couple minutes, and then I go to talk to him for about 20.
He said they get up at 4am, stand in formation, march to breakfast, get in line, stand in line for anywhere from 1-2 hours. Eat FAST. Go stand in formation again for a few hours, sometimes get a short break. March to lunch, stand in line for 1 -2 hours again, eat fast, march back, stand in formation for several more hours, maybe go do some paperwork, formation, line, eat, formation bed.... and that is all he has been doing since he got there. He is looking forward to basic so he can start working out rather than stand all day every day.
Laundry is hard because the only time to do it is late at night really, so you sleep or do laundry. They have one little laundry room for over 1000 soldiers....
He has about 60 other guys in his barracks, so the worst thing at night is just that some of the guys like to talk.... LOUDLY. However he told me today that after he and I talked last night and he found out I was doing ok with this he finally got his first night of good sleep, so I was glad tohear that. I finally feel like I will get a good night sleep tonight after hearing that. He called me at about 10 his time, so he was getting ready to go to bed.... but then an inspector was on his way to their barracks, so he may be up all night scrubbing floors or something.
Anyhow... he said that they will ship out to basic on Wednesday, and once he is there he will send me the address so I can start sending him letters. I have written a few already, now i just need to be able to send them. He is mailing me a letter tomorrow at 4am when he gets up, so I am looking forward to getting that. Once i get his address I will post it. He sounds homesick so I am sure he would love as many letters as possible. I don't know if he will have time to write back or not, but I do know that he will have time to read them. :)
Thanks for all the continued prayers!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are both doing a little better. I kept thinking about you all day yesterday. You're in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete